Monday, September 10, 2007

my first song...

i've been on a serious binge.



i've been remixing this nas album in between working on my cd. it's almost like doing 2 albums at once. one thing that means is beats galore.

even though i've been very happy with my latest batch i'm my own worst critic. when i'm in my basement (the current laboratory) all i can really get is a sense of how the finished product might sound.


until i finish whatever i'm working on, i don't take it to the studio. which means til i'm finished hooking up beats for the nas remixes, i can't be 100% sure that everything i try will work. i've never remixed a song before...i tinkered around from time to time. but it never panned out.




here's some insight-

if the acapella track doesn't match EXACTLY with the speed of the beat, the two will drift further and further apart. it'll sound uglier than my ex-girlfriend's insults. i would listen to known producer's remixes and wonder how the hell they got the vocals to stay on beat.

i had all kinds of theories about it. they turned out to be more complicated than the actual solution. there is a trick to it...now i'm like a machine.


the question is: ok. when do we get to hear these remixes??

as for nas, not just yet. i have something else for you though. havoc of mobb deep has a solo record coming out. there's a contest going on...remix his song, win some shit. in a lot of ways this was my test. if this remix hadn't come out good i can't say i'd want to finish the nas thing.



this past weekend, i went to the studio to finish recording my cd. while i was there i took a little time to lay down this havoc remix. i hooked the beat up, then arranged it. odin stepped in and mixed it down.




and here it is-

i've got the original version up here too. if you aren't familiar with it, take a quick listen. the lyrics are kinda stupid but hey, it was fun to put my spin on a creation that was already set in stone...



Havoc - I'm the Boss (original)



and now my version: I'm The Boss (Has-Lo Remix)






i'm pretty proud of the remix...my first one. if you want to download it i think you just click on the song name.


of course i doubt i'll win the contest. they always pick the wackest people, then they wonder why it never goes anywhere. fuck corny rap. if you wanna super-man that hoe or some weird shit like that, you're in the wrong place...you need to super-man your ass back to reality, hoe




let me know what you think party people.




custamato~

No comments: